596 Acres creates tools to help neighbors “Find the lot of their lives” by:
- making municipal information about vacant public land available online through a searchable map and on the ground by placing signs that explain a lot’s status and steps that the community can take to be able to use that land;
- maintaining a network that allows communities to use shared knowledge and relationships with decision-makers;
- providing education about city government and pathways for participation in decisions that shape neighborhoods;
- assisting communities with legal support and campaign-development on land use issues;
- working with groups after they get access to land to build sustainable community governance to become stewards of a public and inclusive resource; and
- advocating for municipal agencies to increase participatory decision-making surrounding public resources.