New Destiny is a New York City nonprofit founded in 1994 to serve one of the City’s most vulnerable homeless populations – victims of domestic violence and their children. We are committed to increasing permanent housing options for domestic violence survivors by building affordable housing and improving their access to existing housing resources.
New Destiny is seeking a full-time Tenant Support Coordinator to provide regular on-site services at Marcello Manor, a 38 unit service-enriched permanent, affordable housing development in the Highbridge section of the Bronx. The successful candidate will be a creative, resourceful and organized professional who is comfortable working independently and who has a strong commitment to helping previously homeless and very low-income households remain stable in permanent housing while developing plans for achieving greater economic security.
This position requires working one weekday night (e.g., 11AM to 7PM), occasionally on a Saturday or Sunday for special events and reports directly to the Housing Services Director.
Core Function and Responsibilities:
Tenant Engagement and Community Organizing
- Actively engage tenants to participate in program services and activities.
- Foster tenant interaction and build community within the building.
- Develop and implement workshops that reflect the interests of tenants.
- Work collaboratively with colleagues to plan enriching activities for children and adults.
- Maintain transparency with tenants regarding expectations, requirements and provide support as needed.
Case Management Services
- Develop annual service goals and review safety plans with tenants.
- Assist tenants to apply for and maintain housing subsidies and other benefits.
- Provide counseling to tenants as appropriate on issues such as safety planning, parenting, and budgeting.
- In conjunction with the Property Manager, engage and assist tenants who are in arrears or at risk of becoming housing unstable.
- Work collaboratively with the Children and Family Services Coordinator to engage tenants and their children in need of additional support.
- Develop strong relationships with appropriate medical and mental health providers, job readiness/training and placement programs; educational and recreation programs.
- Provide referrals and linkages to appropriate services for clients in need of support.
- Prepare monthly reports on program activities, services provided and individual outcomes.
- Maintain program data integrity by inputting client information on a weekly basis.
- Collect and input quantitative and qualitative data gathered from program participants and partners in support of a program evaluation and ongoing data collection needs.
- Attend internal & external meetings, as needed.
- Other duties as directed
- Master’s Degree in psychology, social work, or related field
- A minimum of 4 years work experience in a client-facing, nonprofit organization.
- Familiarity working with survivors of domestic violence and/or homelessness.
- Must be responsible, flexible, a self-starter, able to work independently and respond appropriately in crises.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
Preferred candidates will have:
- Spanish fluency.
- Comprehensive knowledge of benefits, entitlements and services offered in NYC.
- Experience with trauma-informed care.
New Destiny is an equal opportunity employer. People of color and lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgendered people are encouraged to apply. Salary commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits.
Email resume and cover letter to New Destiny at Resumes@NewDestinyHousing.org including “Tenant Support Coordinator” in the subject line.