New Economy Project works with community groups to build an economy that works for all New Yorkers, based on racial, economic and gender justice, cooperation, and ecological
sustainability. Founded in 1995, New Economy Project has been at the forefront of financial justice advocacy and coalition organizing in NYC for more than two decades. We wage
groundbreaking campaigns and organize coalitions to advance cooperative and community-led development, and challenge systemic discrimination that perpetuates poverty, segregation, and inequality. Current campaigns include: building a broad movement for community land trusts; establishing a public bank for NYC; and advancing a NYS Community Equity Agenda to ensure economic justice and self-determination in New York’s low-income communities and communities of color.
Among our many activities, we operate the NYC Financial Justice Hotline, providing free legal assistance to low-income New Yorkers on an array of economic justice issues; and bring groundbreaking impact litigation. For more information, please visit our website: www.neweconomynyc.org.
New Economy Project seeks a staff attorney to join our legal team. The legal team works on a wide range of cases that address systemic discrimination and wealth extraction, and provides free legal assistance to low-income New Yorkers who call our financial justice hotline. Working closely with the full staff of the organization, the legal team also plays a key role in advancing New Economy Project's coalition and policy advocacy, and communications work.
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Working with New Economy Project’s Legal Director, the Staff Attorney will:
- Help staff the NYC Financial Justice Hotline, a free legal assistance program that works with low-income New Yorkers and community groups to combat discriminatory and abusive financial services;
- Work on impact litigation that addresses systemic discrimination and wealth extraction;
- Support the organization’s new economy and financial justice coalitions and campaigns;
- Speak at community and public policy forums, lead know-your-rights workshops and capacity-building trainings, and testify at public hearings.
The ideal candidate will have:
- A demonstrated commitment to racial, economic and social justice;
- Excellent writing and analytical skills, and attention to detail;
- The ability to take initiative, manage multiple assignments, and work effectively under pressure;
- Experience working with individuals and community groups;
- Grassroots and/or coalition organizing experience;
- Demonstrated interest in the intersection between law and organizing; and
- Experience working in a public interest law or similar setting.
The position requires admission to the New York State bar. Fluency in Spanish is a major plus. New Economy Project provides ongoing training and staff development opportunities, and encourages attorneys with experience in other areas of practice to apply.
SALARY & BENEFITS
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. New Economy Project offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes health, dental, and vision insurance, 403(b) plan, and flexible spending plan.
Email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com with “Staff Attorney” in the subject line. Please submit a resume with a cover letter that describes: (a) your particular qualifications for this position; and (b) where or how you learned of this job posting. Please submit your resume and cover letter as one PDF document. New Economy Project is an equal opportunity employer. People of color, women, people with disabilities, and LGBTQ individuals are strongly encouraged to apply.