The Senior Vice President of Real Estate Operations is a senior leader responsible for the stewardship of Volunteers of America National Services (VOANS) housing and other real estate assets and resident services programs, including strategic positioning, effective management and operation, capital investment strategy, asset management and development of appropriate service programs. The position works in close collaboration with members of the VOANS Senior Leadership team to plan and carry out new real estate development projects and otherwise support the implementation of the VOANS Strategic Plan. Direct reports include leaders of VOANS National Housing Corporation (property management), Asset Management, Resident Services, and Housing Quality and Training.
Primary Functions, Duties & Responsibilities
- Provide senior leadership and guidance to National Housing Corporation leadership (property management) asset management, housing quality and training and resident services departments to ensure operations are executed in accordance with all applicable legal and policy requirements.
- Develop systems to monitor the real estate performance of non-housing facilities; develop and implement strategies to ensure successful stewardship of such assets.
- Ensure development, implementation and monitoring of financial reports and key indicators on real estate performance; develop strategies to effectively and timely address performance concerns.
- Coordinate closely with EVP and COO of VOANS, SVP for Real Estate Development, VP for Housing and Healthcare Integration and VOANS Senior Leadership Team on planning and development of new real estate projects.
- Solicit feedback from the Senior Leadership Team to identify gaps in real estate and customer service performance; propose and oversee implementation of corrective action plans including mechanism to evaluate progress and ensure that lessons learned are incorporated into future strategies.
- Lead and participate in internal and external meetings including with staff, regulatory agencies, elected officials, residents, staff and other key stakeholders
- Seek and develop opportunities to enhance service enriched housing offerings in housing portfolio.
- Build strong, collaborative internal and external relationships at all levels of the organization.
- Provide leadership for service coordination to ensure it is a leading approach to impact resident health, satisfaction and other outcomes.
Secondary Functions, Duties and Responsibilities
- As requested, serve as a Board Member or Officer of VOANS and/or its subsidiary organizations reviewing and executing contracts and documents as needed in accordance with policies and procedures.
- Make presentations to the VOANS board or Committees, report on progress and carry out approved initiatives related to real estate operations.
- Assist in development of the acquisition and disposition of properties in accordance with strategic initiatives.
- Supervise and manage staff in accordance with organization policies and procedures.
- Provide strategic vision for enhancement and financial success of the VOANS real estate portfolio.
- Participate in meetings with contractors, potential funders or other external organization functions related to VOANS housing and real estate operations.
- Ability to provide senior level leadership to all aspects of housing and real estate operations functions in a diverse and dynamic environment. This includes the ability to cultivate creativity and innovation while enforcing accountability and maintain high standards for customer service and work ethic.
- Creativity and an entrepreneurial mind-set that has proven success in developing and implementing solution driven results in the area of housing and real estate operations.
- Successful communicator with proven ability to express ideas verbally and in writing to a wide and diverse audience, including colleagues, Board members, community residents, private partners, etc.
- Deep understanding of key real estate performance indicators and ability to use data and metrics to drive decisions and measure performance.
Experience and Minimum Qualifications
- 10 to 15 years’ satisfactory, full-time related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience in real estate operations, asset management, property management, and resident services in the affordable housing field. Proven track record Experience in commercial real estate operations of commercial and/or community or healthcare facilities is a plus.
- Demonstrated experience working in real estate that serves low income populations and extensive understanding of the requirements of the programs that finance them including, but not limited to the low income housing tax credit, project based housing vouchers, and other Federal, state and local housing programs.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university. A graduate degree or advanced professional certification and/or graduate degree in a related field is preferred.
- Successful, demonstrated experience managing large teams that include property management, asset management, construction management, resident services and/or other related areas.
- Ability to work flexible hours. Ability to travel is required.
The work environment characteristics and physical demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Works in office areas. Interacts with staff, consultants, and outside vendors. May be subjected to interruptions throughout the workday.
- While performing the duties of this job the employee is frequently required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to lift up to 10 pounds. The vision requirement includes close vision.
FOR MORE INFORMATION, CONTACT:
Linny Simkin, Managing Principal, Simkin Search LLC, 206.366.1012, email@example.com