New Economy Project works with community groups to build an economy that works for all New Yorkers, based on racial, economic and gender justice, cooperation, and ecological sustainability. Founded in 1995, New Economy Project has been at the forefront of financial justice advocacy and coalition organizing in NYC for more than two decades. We wage groundbreaking campaigns and organize coalitions to advance cooperative and community-led development, and challenge systemic discrimination that perpetuates poverty, segregation, and inequality. Among our many activities, we operate the NYC Financial Justice Hotline, providing free legal assistance to low-income New Yorkers on an array of economic justice issues; and bring nationally-recognized impact litigation. For more information, please visit our website: neweconomynyc.org
New Economy Project seeks an experienced attorney to conduct litigation, hotline services, and related advocacy. The senior staff attorney will work closely with the organization’s legal director to help supervise staff attorneys, paralegals, and legal interns. New Economy Project’s legal team works on a wide range of cases in federal and state courts and in administrative proceedings, and provides free legal assistance to the hundreds of low-income New Yorkers who call New Economy Project’s hotline every year. Working closely with the full staff of the organization, the legal team also supports New Economy Project’s coalition and policy advocacy, and communications work.
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Developing, conducting, and leading all aspects of litigation in federal and state courts and in administrative forums
- Identifying possible litigation and advocacy
- Supervising the work of staff attorneys conducting complex public-interest litigation
- Staffing and helping to supervise work on the NYC Financial Justice Hotline
- Working with the organization’s advocacy, legislative and communications teams
- Collaborating with coalition partners, base-building organizations, and advocacy organizations
- Presenting testimony before legislative bodies and administrative agencies, and meeting with policymakers/elected officials
- Leading community-based and court legal clinics
- Participating in community education on new economy and related issues, including speaking at public events and generating blogs, op-eds, and other posts
EXPERIENCE & QUALIFICATIONS
The ideal Senior Staff Attorney candidate will have:
- Six to eight years of experience successfully handling all aspects of complex public-interest litigation
- Demonstrated expertise in consumer financial justice and related matters (experience with community economic development and/or transactional legal services a plus)
- Experience with a legal hotline or similar medium for providing legal services
- Experience in successful coalition and policy advocacy, working closely and productively with community organizing and neighborhood-based groups
- Excellent writing, research, analytical, and communication skills
- Experience supervising lawyers and other legal staff
- Significant experience in public engagement, including public speaking and interacting with media
- Demonstrated commitment to economic and social justice
- Ability to work productively in a small, fast-paced office environment
- Fluency in English and Spanish
- Admission to the New York bar
SALARY & BENEFITS
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. New Economy Project offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes health, dental, and vision insurance, 403(b) plan, and flexible spending plan.
E-mail your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Senior Staff Attorney” in the subject line. Please submit a resume with a cover letter that describes: (a) your unique qualifications for this position; and (b) where or how you learned of this job posting. Please submit your resume and cover letter as one PDF document.
Applications will be accepted and reviewed upon submission. New Economy Project is an Equal Opportunity employer. People of color, women, people with disabilities, and LGBTQ individuals are strongly encouraged to apply.
Read full job description here.