This Confidential Nonprofit Organization builds and sustains high quality affordable housing, complemented by transformative work in youth development, care for the elderly, social services and workforce development. The Organization works closely with partners to create opportunities or long-term economic mobility and has developed over 2000 units of housing. The Organization currently owns/manages 1,550 units of affordable housing in 30 buildings and expects a significant growth inflection over next several years.
The Organization is seeking a Senior Managing Director of Property and Asset Management to oversee financial, regulatory compliance, operational and capital needs of the organization’s Property Management Social Enterprise. They will work closely with a broad array of external partners, investor lenders, government regulatory agencies and key staff. This is a senior management position and will report directly to the Executive Director.
The Senior Managing Director of Property and Asset Management (SMD) will be responsible for oversight of the current and growing real estate portfolio which includes affordable housing, commercial and nonprofit facilities. They are also responsible for the financial management oversight and compliance for the properties, working closely with the Director of Finance and the Director of Housing Development. The SMD will oversee the enterprise and create and implement asset strategies that will plan for future growth, establish oversight and sustain protocols, set performance benchmarks, and facilitate opportunities for ideal property performance. They will communicate with internal and external stakeholders to complete compliance reporting in accordance with applicable lender, investor and governmental regulatory governance. They will also provide positive leadership to a growing team.
They will most likely have substantial experience in the nonprofit affordable housing, government, asset management, real estate and/or microfinance and housing finance arenas and must demonstrate significant accomplishments and past successes. In addition, he or she must be a hands-on manager, a strategic thinker and planner, a problem solver and be able to respond to crises and changing conditions quickly and effectively.
Excellent negotiation and communication skills are critically important, as well as are superior diplomatic skills. They must be equally comfortable in making presentations before members of the community, corporate executives, elected officials, public agency administrators, and other stakeholders. The successful candidate must be capable of integrating smoothly into the organization’s culture. They must be able to work closely with the leadership and staff to promote an open, inclusive environment that emphasizes cooperation and teamwork with a minimum of ego. In addition, they will be sharp, tactful, analytical, of the highest integrity, and possess sound judgment as well as a sense of humor.
• Demonstated capacity to lead people.
• Well organized with excellent problem solving skills.
• A background which exhibits a demonstrated commitment to affordable housing and not-for-profit social enterprise.
• The ability to work with people of diverse economic, social and ethnic backgrounds.
• Broad knowledge and experience in housing finance, property mangment, compliance. Familiarity with community Development.
• Budgeting and Financial Analysis.
• Ability to analyze and track reserves to meet short- and long-term requirements.
• Utilize software platform such as OneSite to manage and analyze properties.
• Understanding of policy and practices to improve organizational efficiency.
• Submit regular reports and analysis.
• Knowledgeable of building systems, building codes, and rent regulations.
• Lead with positive customer service and team building skills.
• Understanding of NYS, NYC and Federal regulating agreement.
• Experience with overseeing tenant compliance functions.
• An understanding of City of New York, State of New York, Federal LIHTC, and HUD affordable housing programs, finance opportunities, laws and regulations
• A strong and demonstrable capacity for preparing, analyzing, and working with pro formas; budgets; and analyzing management reports, audits, financial reports.
• Strong financial, team-building, management and interpersonal skills.
• Minimum college degree and ideally possess a Graduate degree in Real Estate, Accounting and/or related field.
• 10-15 years’ experience in senior affordable Asset Management position with increasing levels of responsibilities.
• At least five (5) years of supervisory experience in substantive positions requiring the ability to lead a team, formulate and implement policy, and work with diverse partners.
• Solid knowledge of Property and Asset Management software.
The Confidential Organization offers a competitive salary and benefits package.
Base salary will be in the $200K range.
All positions are filled without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, HIV/AIDS status, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. All are encouraged to apply.
The Confidential Organization has retained the services of Harris Rand Lusk to conduct this search. Inquiries, nominations and applications may be directed in confidence to:
Anne McCarthy, COO
Harris Rand Lusk
260 Madison Avenue, 15th Floor
New York, NY 10016
Please put “Confidential Asset Manager” in the subject line of your emailed application.