Urban Edge (UE) seeks an energetic and experienced Project Manager to join our team.
Urban Edge is a non-profit community development corporation (CDC) dedicated to strengthening communities and families. Together, we build affordable housing and vibrant, prosperous neighborhoods.
Our Organization and Our Community
We are located where Boston’s Latin Quarter meets its historic African-American neighborhood, at the crossroads of Jamaica Plain and Roxbury, in Jackson Square. Our goal is to foster diverse urban neighborhoods of choice populated by resilient families and sustained by dynamic webs of community relationships. To achieve this goal: we build quality affordable housing for low and moderate income households; we advise hardworking families on homeowner services, financial education, taxes, and student loans; and we organize neighbors to become leaders of community change.
In 1974, redlining, real estate speculation, and displacement of low and moderate income families were tearing at the fabric of Boston communities. Determined resident opposition succeeded in halting the extension of a major interstate route, I-95, through the city, but the landscape sustained the scars of cleared land. Community leaders came together and founded Urban Edge to rebuild our neighborhood on the “urban edge.”
To date, we have developed nearly 1,500 units of affordable housing. We maintain a portfolio of 1,320 units. Residents of our housing and our community are diverse and multilingual. More than fifty percent of the families that live in Urban Edge housing identify as Latino (55%); 37% are Black; 2% are White; and 6% fall into more than one category, or identify as “other.” In 2018, we anticipate serving more than 2500 families. Urban Edge has a 2018 annual operating budget of $4.5 million, and a staff of 29.
Real Estate Development at Urban Edge
We have an active pipeline of residential and commercial development projects. In 2018, we anticipate completing construction of 49 affordable rental units. We are actively managing another 99 units through the construction process. Our pipeline includes three additional properties slated for new construction, the renovation and refinance of properties within our large portfolio, a possibly homeownership project, and together with several partners, the redevelopment of a major public housing development. Urban Edge is also advancing the Jackson Square Recreation Center.
Urban Edge’s real estate development activities are led by our Director of Real Estate, to whom the Project Manager would report. The department will include 5 people, all engaged in project management.
The Project Manager
The Project Manager will oversee a number of housing and commercial development projects in various stages of planning and development. They will receive support as needed to learn pieces of the work that are new to them, and have opportunities for growth and increased levels of responsibility over time.
Specific responsibilities will include:
- Manage the acquisition, construction, and/or renovation of development projects.
Depending on the experience of the Project Manager and the level of complexity of
the projects, they may be involved in 2 – 4 projects at a time
- Evaluate feasibility of development opportunities in conjunction with the Director of
Real Estate or Senior Project Manager as requested
- Conduct due diligence for existing and prospective projects
- Create and manage development budgets and schedules for projects
- Prepare applications to secure project financing from private, quasi-public, and public
- Communicate with project lenders, funders, and contractors and prepare reports as
- Negotiate and manage contracts of applicable consultants as requested
- Manage projects during construction, with the involvement of an owner’s
- Manage or help manage closings of real estate transactions
- Manage the project invoice and requisition process
- Manage relocation planning and implementation as required
- Work with the Community Engagement staff to create and implement the community
engagement strategy for specific projects as required
- Collaborate with other departments in planning and implementing community events
and/or media opportunities for real estate activities as necessary
- Maintain project files in accordance with Department systems and standards
- Identify, communicate, and manage project risks as requested, and
- Other related duties as assigned.
Our Ideal Candidate
Urban Edge is looking for smart, creative, and hardworking talent to join our Real Estate Development team. Our ideal candidate enjoys real estate development, and is comfortable working in a fast-paced, community-based environment. They will bring dedication, enthusiasm and a sense of humor to the work, and possess many of the following skills and qualifications:
- Two (2) to five (5) years of experience successfully managing residential and/or commercial real estate development
- Prior involvement in or demonstrated commitment to community-based affordable housing development
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in a related field or the equivalent in work experience
- Master’s Degree in a related field a plus
- Demonstrated ability to express oneself well in English verbally and in writing2
- Excellent analytic and problem-solving skills
- Financial analysis skills and excellent computer literacy
- Ability to independently organize and prioritize project activities
- Ability to effectively plan and direct the work of team members
- Ability to work accurately under pressure, delegate, and coordinate the work required
to meet project deadlines and budgets
- Ability to interact positively with people of all ethnic and economic backgrounds, including members of our community, our staff, and outside stakeholders
- Flexibility to adapt, respond, and meet the needs of the project and the organization
- Ability to quickly identify when and where help is needed, and
- Spanish speaking and writing skills a plus.
The Application Process
Please submit a resume and a cover letter documenting your experience and interest in this position to:
Urban Edge Project Manager Search
c/o Ann L Silverman Consulting
Applications will be reviewed and acknowledged as they are received.
Urban Edge offers a competitive salary, commensurate with experience and qualifications, plus generous benefits. We seek to fill this position by early 2019, if not sooner. See www.urbanedge.org for more information.
Urban Edge seeks a diverse pool of candidates. We are committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, disability, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation or age.