Develop Detroit (DDI) is a dynamic nonprofit real estate and housing developer working at scale to address the challenges around affordable housing, neighborhood stability and access to jobs. Currently operating in key Detroit neighborhoods, our primary focus is on creating affordable, mixed income and mixed-use developments that help stabilize and transform neighborhoods. DDI builds high-quality housing and developments that provide all Detroiters – no matter their income – the ability to afford active lifestyles and to have improved access to economic opportunity.
The Project Manager position reports directly to the Vice President - Real Estate and will have overall project management responsibility for multiple real estate projects in the organization’s 800 unit / $225M real estate portfolio. This position requires excellent project management and analytical skills, and a genuine commitment to the mission of building and preserving quality housing and transforming communities. The right candidate will exhibit a commitment to collaboration and the ability to partner effectively with a range of key stakeholder groups. Additionally, Develop Detroit is an innovative firm, so strong candidates will have demonstrated ability to operate in very fluid, fast-moving and lean organizations and a willingness to lead teams into new challenges.
Major Duties & Responsibilities
- Work closely with the Vice President of Real Estate Development on specific project opportunities and take responsibility for a set of projects, from feasibility to project completion, as assigned.
- Review sites for potential development, both acquisition and rehab and new construction.
- Prepare feasibility analysis including identification of needs, population served, financial feasibility, risk review, and consistency with community plans.
- Prepare or oversee preparation of all applications for financing and entitlements for assigned projects, providing all technical and financial information required for complete and competitive applications.
- Prepare and manage project budgets, ensuring consistency with lender and investor requirements.
- Process invoices and work with accounting to prepare funding draws and documentation, in compliance with the needs of public and private lenders and investors and accountants.
- Review monthly project financial reports for consistency with management objectives.
- Direct the development team including architects, general contractors, attorneys and other members of the project development team.
- Build strong working relationships with governmental, business and civic leaders to create opportunities for affordable housing and community development.
- Bring or quickly develop in-depth knowledge of multifamily real estate financing markets and affordable housing subsidy programs.
- Oversee timely and efficient progress on all projects and work with development partners to ensure successful completion.
Requires superior judgment, creativity, tenacity, flexibility, impeccable attention-to-detail, and an exceptional ability to cultivate and steward long term relationships with key stakeholders. Additional qualifications include:
- At least five years of demonstrated experience in affordable housing and real estate project development and management (a Masters degree may be substituted for two years of experience).
- Strong time management and organizational skills with attention to detail and accuracy.
- Highly effective problem solving ability, demonstrating flexibility while remaining focused on solutions.
- Advanced proficiency with Microsoft WORD, EXCEL, and PROJECT, SmartSheets or similar project management software.
- Demonstrated ability to create successful projects completed on or ahead of schedule, on budget with maximum financial return.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Strong negotiating and external collaboration skills, as well as sound political judgment.
- Ability to develop feasibility analyses, create pro formas, monitor project budgets and timelines.
- Excellent relationship-building skills and a customer-service orientation that leads to sustainable and mutually beneficial external partnerships.
- Demonstrated belief in the mission of affordable, quality housing and successful community development.
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred, or equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- This position is based in Detroit, MI
- Please submit resume and cover letter here