The NYC Housing Partnership (“Partnership”) is seeking a dynamic and experienced leader in affordable housing who is passionate about building healthier and economically sustainable communities to become its next President and Chief Executive Officer.
The Partnership serves as New York’s primary non-profit intermediary playing a critical role for the development and preservation of affordable and workforce housing, assisting in the development, promotion, and preservation of affordable rental housing and homeownership through an array of specialized programs and services. For almost four decades, the Partnership has been the facilitator of dynamic partnerships between variouscity, state, and private sectors to build affordable homes which stimulate economic growth and revitalize neighborhoods throughout New York City’s five boroughs, as well as in both New York State and New Jersey.
Since its founding in 1982, the Partnership has housed more than 70,000 low and moderate-income families, awarded more than $500 million in affordable housing subsidies, and leveraged more than $7 billion of private financing. Its work with developers, housing agencies and financial institutions has injected substantial private investment, housing programs, and economic development into neighborhoods where the need for affordable housing is great, particularly when incomes remain stagnant.
Recently, the long time President and CEO of the NYC Housing Partnership, Dan Martin, announced his intention to move on from leading the organization that he has artfully and dynamically built over the 16 years of his tenure. As such, the Board is seeking someone with significant gravitas in the affordable housing and/or the economic development fields to become the next face and voice of the New York City Housing Partnership.
The NYC Housing Partnership seeks a dynamic and entrepreneurial leader to be the President and CEO. The ideal candidate will be a seasoned manager, with deep knowledge of affordable housing, community development finance and the regional markets who will leverage strong relationships with the public, private, philanthropic and nonprofit communities. The candidate will be familiar with the communities where the Partnership works, adept at listening to local needs, and prolific with tapping the needed resources to focus on community priorities and implementation.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the President and CEO will provide the strategic direction and guidance for all aspects the Partnership’s work. The position requires a strong commitment to the role of community-based nonprofit organizations as agents of positive community change as well as an understanding of, and appreciation for, other key public and private partners who can offer additional resources to the work of affordable housing development in the region.
Excellent interpersonal, communication and negotiation skills are critical. The President and CEO must be comfortable and tactful in communicating with the individuals who benefit from the Partnership’s work as well as corporate executives, local business leaders, elected officials, public agency administrators, and the community. They must be able to work closely with the Board and staff in a transparent, honest fashion that promotes inclusiveness, cooperation, and teamwork. In addition, they will be bright, diplomatic, analytical, creative, of the highest integrity, and possess sound judgment as well as a sense of humor, humility, and compassion.
- Craft and implement a strategy to scale affordable housing production in the markets the Partnership operates through innovative solutions and dialogue with local government, state agencies, other private and quasi-public financial institutions and intermediaries, advocacy groups, and community-based organizations.
- Bring and deploy a deep knowledge of real estate related resources and capital development strategies utilized in real estate and community revitalization efforts, including leveraging government and private sector resources.
- Provide leadership on housing and community development policy issues in the region. Advocate on behalf of the Partnership and the policy networks at the local, state and federal levels to secure the tools necessary to advance a comprehensive development strategy.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships at the highest levels of local and state government as well as in the corporate and foundation sectors.
- Develop and maintain partnerships with community organizations and other advocacy groups engaged in public policy issues.
- Represent the Partnership on key community task forces, commissions and other policy bodies, as appropriate.
- Identify and cultivate leadership from key corporate, foundation and other prospective donor sectors who share an interest in community development.
- Seek out new and creative resource development strategies for the Partnership and the community development field.
- Craft and carry out an effective communication strategy to increase awareness of the impact of the NYC Housing Partnership.
- Assist in engaging a wide variety of community partners to help bring holistic and integrated services to targeted neighborhoods.
- Develop, lead, and maintain a shared community development agenda through dialogue with local government, state agencies, other private and quasi-public financial institutions and intermediaries, advocacy groups, and community-based organizations, and the use of data to inform decision making.
- Promote effective development strategies to attract resources to targeted under-served populations and neighborhoods.
- Minimum of ten years senior level experience in community development finance, affordable housing, or related field.
- Demonstrated commitment to the NYC Housing Partnership’s mission.
- Demonstrated ability to attract and sustain philanthropic funding.
- Demonstrated experience in shaping affordable housing through close ties with both the real estate development industry and financial institutions.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, finance, real estate or related fields. Master’s degree preferred.
- Demonstrated track record in providing leadership for the development of strategic vision.
- Ability to establish priorities that align with a strategic plan and manage multiple agendas and programs effectively.
- Strong oral and written communication skills, including experience speaking publicly in diverse forums.
- Knowledge, understanding of, and experience in community development strategies, including deep knowledge of real estate related resource and capital development strategies utilized in real estate and community revitalization efforts.
- Local market knowledge of policy.
- Fluency using and understanding data to inform decision making.
- Entrepreneurial spirit; ability to seek out creative approaches to community issues.
- Proven ability to work in culturally and ethnically diverse environments.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively with a wide variety of people and organizations, including senior level corporate, philanthropic, public sector representatives and community leaders; ability to inspire trust and to motivate staff and partners.
- Experience building and facilitating relationships within and among various sectors.
- Demonstrated management experience, including staff development, financial management, and office administration.
The NYC Housing Partnership offers a competitive salary and benefits package. All positions at the Partnership are filled without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, HIV/AIDS status, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. All are encouraged to apply.
For more information about the NYC Housing Partnership, please visit their website at www.housingpartnership.com
The NYC Housing Partnership has retained the services of Harris Rand Lusk to conduct this search. Inquiries, nominations and applications may be directed in confidence to:
Anne McCarthy, COO
Harris Rand Lusk
260 Madison Avenue, 15th Floor
New York, NY 10016
Please put “Housing Partnership CEO” in the subject line of your emailed application.