New Economy Project seeks an energetic and committed social justice activist to join our growing team. We are hiring a Paralegal/Program Associate whose core responsibilities will include helping to staff our free legal assistance hotline and conducting know-your-rights workshops with community-based organizations throughout New York City.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
NYC Financial Justice Hotline: New Economy Project’s Financial Justice Hotline provides free information, legal advice and referrals to community groups and low-income New Yorkers. On occasion, hotline staff conduct off-site community clinics, in partnership with grassroots groups. The hotline has assisted thousands of New Yorkers, and served as a tool to track, expose, and challenge discriminatory economic practices.
With attorney supervision, the Paralegal/Program Associate will:
- Conduct intakes and provide advice and referrals to low-income New Yorkers.
- Reach out to groups to promote the hotline and coordinate community legal clinics.
- Conduct research and handle general administrative duties for the legal team.
- Help hotline callers amplify their stories, including through social media, testimonials, participation in coalition advocacy, and other strategies.
Community Outreach & Education: New Economy Project conducts extensive community education and capacity-building training with community, base-building, immigrant, labor, and other organizations in NYC. We use know-your-rights material, maps, video, and interactive exercises to train organizations’ staff and members on pressing financial justice issues and strategies for change.
The Paralegal/Program Associate will:
Schedule and lead presentations for members of community-based organizations and other constituencies, including seniors, immigrants, and women.
- Create know-your-rights material for community outreach sessions and our website.
- Engage community organizations and members in coalitions and campaigns.
- Represent New Economy Project and publicize the hotline at public forums.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
The ideal candidate will have:
- A demonstrated commitment to social and economic justice.
- Fluency in Spanish.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- A track record of working effectively with individuals and community groups.
- Outstanding writing and research skills, and strong communication skills.
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent work/study experience.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to learn new skills and substantive areas quickly.
- Prior experience as a community/know-your-rights educator and/or in a public interest law environment.
New Economy Project offers an excellent benefits package and competitive salaries, commensurate with experience.
ABOUT NEW ECONOMY PROJECT
New Economy Project works with community groups to build an economy that works for all, based on racial, economic and gender justice, cooperation, and ecological sustainability. Founded in 1995, New Economy Project has been at the forefront of financial justice advocacy and coalition organizing in NYC for more than two decades. We wage groundbreaking campaigns and organize coalitions to advance cooperative and community-led development, and challenge systemic discrimination that perpetuates poverty, segregation, and inequality. Among our many activities, we operate the NYC Financial Justice Hotline, providing free legal assistance to low-income New Yorkers on an array of economic justice issues; and bring nationally-recognized impact litigation. For more information, please visit our website: www.neweconomynyc.org
New Economy Project is committed to a diverse workplace, and to providing staff with ongoing professional development opportunities. People of color, women, people with disabilities, and LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please submit resume and cover letter by email to: email@example.com. Please enter “Paralegal/Program Associate position” in subject line.