NLIHC seeks a manager/director of media relations and communications to develop, implement, and manage media and public relations strategies to advance NLIHC’s mission of achieving socially just public policy to ensure the lowest-income people have decent, accessible, and affordable homes. Reporting to the NLIHC VP for field and communications, the manager/director will supervise the NLIHC communications specialist and interns.
- Develop/maintain strong relationships with reporters, writers, and opinion leaders in print, broadcast, online, and social media. Maintain up-to-date database of all media contacts.
- Pitch stories and secure regular media interviews and editorial board meetings for President/CEO and other Coalition staff and members as appropriate.
- Assist in development of messaging by relevant staff; implement messaging strategy.
- Prepare and distribute press releases and media alerts; coordinate press events for NLIHC and state partners.
- Work to place op-eds, letters-to-the-editor, blogs, and other opinion pieces for president/CEO and other Coalition staff and members as appropriate.
- Draft articles for Coalition staff and members as appropriate for placement in partner publications.
Content Development/Brand Management
- Develop and implement a comprehensive strategy for use of social media, including, but not limited to, Facebook, Twitter, and blogs. Assist staff in implementing strategy.
- Monitor print, broadcast, online, and social media for coverage of NLIHC, NLIHC campaigns, and NLIHC policy priorities; reach out to amplify or correct as needed.
- Stay abreast of new developments in social media and recommend advances and changes to NLIHC platforms.
- Maintain records of all media work; produce metrics of all social media contacts; prepare monthly reports.
- Assist in content development, writing, and editing of Advocates’ Guide, Annual Report, and other publications.
- Assist state partners in development of media strategies.
- Develop and implement webinars, workshops, and written materials to aid NLIHC members in use of social media and press strategies.
- Collaborate with teams across the organization to amplify programs, projects, and campaigns.
- Supervise communications specialist.
- Help to recruit and supervise communication/graphic design interns.
Organizational Support/Special Projects
- Complete other projects as assigned by vice president of communications, COO and CEO.
- Assist in development and implementation of annual Policy Forum and Leadership Awards Celebration/Reception.
- Attend all meetings of NLIHC Board of Directors, and present as needed.
- Participate in staff meetings, retreats, training, and NLIHC events.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum of bachelor’s degree. Master’s degree preferred. Degree in Communications, Marketing, Public Relations, Media or related area a plus.
- Minimum of three-five years of experience in media and social media communications, public affairs and/or marketing.
- Demonstrated track record of success in developing an effective communications strategy.
- Ability to work in diverse high-paced environment.
- Strong writing and editing skills.
- Strong oral and interpersonal communications skills.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and Muck Rack.
- Proficiency in social media platforms.
- Commitment to social justice.
- Knowledge of the fundamentals of housing poverty, homelessness, affordable housing policy, affordable housing development, or social service delivery preferred.
An equal opportunity, affirmative action employer, NLIHC offers a competitive salary and a generous benefits package. This is a full-time position located in Washington, DC, but NLIHC will be flexible about location for the first 6-12 months (depending on the pandemic).
Interested candidates should submit a resume, cover letter with salary requirement, and two writing samples to Renee Willis, VP for field and communications, and Bairy Diakite, operations manager, at: email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org.