Councilmember Elissa Silverman is an independent, at-large member of the Council of the District of Columbia. The councilmember chairs the Council’s Committee on Labor and Workforce Development, which primarily focuses on labor and employment policy. The councilmember is also an active member of the following committees: Housing and Neighborhood Revitalization, Government Operations, and Facilities and Procurement.
OVERALL POSITION DESCRIPTION
The Housing Policy Advisor is the subject-matter expert for all agencies and legislative issues that fall within the councilmember’s housing portfolio, as well as the primary advisor to the councilmember on housing legislation and policy. The councilmember expects the portfolio of the Housing Policy Advisor to focus on local housing policy in the District, including, but not limited to, issues such as affordable housing, public housing, housing vouchers, zoning, and the Comprehensive Plan. Additional policy assignments in line with the hire’s interests or expertise are possible, with previous examples including health policy, transportation policy, and education policy.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE HOUSING POLICY ADVISOR
- Advise the councilmember and chief of staff on housing policy and strategy.
- In collaboration with stakeholders, analyze and draft legislation on topics related to housing and other matters within the assigned portfolio.
- Maintain relationships with District and federal agencies, interest groups, advocates, Council and Executive staff, constituents, and residents around the councilmember’s legislative priorities.
- Monitor current events and best practices in local, state, and federal policy within the assigned portfolio.
- Prepare the councilmember for hearings on housing and other assigned issue areas with briefing memos, talking points, and other materials.
- Work with the Communications Director to develop communications strategies for housing issues.
- Draft statements, questions, and/or speeches for the councilmember for relevant meetings and events as needed.
- Staff the councilmember at relevant public events.
- Help constituents on housing-related issues in conjunction with the councilmember’s Constituent Service Director.
For full vacancy announcement, please visit https://dccouncil.us/jobs-solicitations/