Houston Community Land Trust (HCLT)’s mission is to make affordable homeownership achievable for limited-income households in Houston, Texas. We connect income-qualified homebuyers to perpetually affordable homes in neighborhoods across the city. HCLT also provides stewardship services and long-term support necessary for HCLT homebuyers to be successful in homeownership.
HCLT seeks a full-time Homebuyer Support Coordinator to join its staff. This position acts as an advocate and resource for HCLT applicants from the initial intake process to the closing of the home purchase. The Homebuyer Support Coordinator will work one-on-one with assigned HCLT applicants throughout the homebuying process. The position will also take an active role in developing procedures and best practices for HCLT’s Homebuyer Intake Team, training new hires, and assisting senior staff with program development. This position will also conduct HCLT orientation workshops open to all interested homebuyers, sometimes outside of regular business hours. The position provides the potential to move into a management role as HCLT’s Homebuyer Counseling Team grows.
Homebuyer Support and Advocacy:
- Oversee new applicant intake process and accept referrals from coordinating service providers.
- Review applications to the HCLT program and assess applicant preparedness and eligibility to purchase a HCLT home.
- Meet with applicants and advise on their program eligibility and any additional steps necessary to qualify.
- Assist applicants in identifying personal financial goals and refer applicants to the relevant resources and organizations to help them reach those goals (including, as appropriate, credit assistance organizations, pro bono legal counsel, homebuyer education courses, mortgage lending resources, local government resources, and alternative housing assistance programs).
- Assist applicants to prepare and submit packets for City of Houston income and disaster eligibility review.
- Assist applicants in applying for mortgage financing from HCLT-approved lenders.
- Advocate for applicants throughout each step of the application and purchase process and provide ongoing applicant support through completion of the home sale.
- Provide accurate information about the HCLT program, home-buying process, and homeowner rights and responsibilities under the HCLT ground lease.
- Update and maintain complete records for each applicant household in HomeKeeper.
- Maintain the highest standard of confidentiality and sensitivity with respect to personal and financial information provided by applicants. Adhere to all guidelines related to the confidentiality of applicant records and information and requirements of the HUD Housing Counseling Handbook and National Industry Standards for Homebuyer Education and Counseling.
- Train other homebuyer counselors and closing specialists on the Homebuyer Intake Team.
- Take an active role in developing Homebuyer Intake Team procedures and best practices, including recordkeeping best practices using HomeKeeper.
- Develop homebuyer referral sources by building relationships and educating local partners about HCLT programs and opportunities.
- Develop educational and marketing materials for HCLT as needed.
- Conduct HCLT orientation and information sessions before public audiences, sometimes outside of normal business hours (evenings).
- Represent HCLT in a professional and exceptional manner.
- Perform additional duties as assigned by the Housing Director and Executive Director.
- At least three years of housing counseling or related industry experience.
- A strong understanding of home purchase and financing process.
- Outreach experience working with diverse communities, public agencies and non-profits.
- Ability to work flexible hours as necessary to give presentations outside of regular working hours.
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution.
- A valid driver’s license.
- HUD Housing Counselor Certification.
- A degree in a related field such as housing, public administration or social work.
- Familiarity with HomeKeeper or SalesForce applications. Extensive training in HomeKeeper will be provided.
- Supervisory or management experience.
- Bilingual ability to speak Spanish, Urdu, Vietnamese or Chinese.
- Strong presentation, oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to relate comfortably and respectfully to individuals of different racial/ethnic, economic and cultural backgrounds.
- Ability to work in a team environment and communicate well with coworkers.
- Ability to train others.
- Ability to work with a high volume of applications and track applicant cases until completion of the home sale.
- Strong personal and professional commitment to fair housing and community development.
- Willingness to learn about the Community Land Trust model and to teach others about the model using clear and consistent methods.
- Willingness to adapt to rapid change as part of a quickly growing organization.
- Commitment to providing an outstanding applicant experience.
- Eagerness to develop new skills, including management skills, given training and professional development opportunities.
This position requires prolonged periods in a seated or standing position in a normal office environment with acceptable lighting, temperature, and air conditions. Occasional light lifting (up to 20 pounds) and travel outside in less-than-optimal temperature conditions may be required.
Candidates must be able to remain in a stationary position for the majority of the workday, must be able to operate a computer and other common office equipment, and must be able to move about inside the office to access equipment and outside the office to attend closings. The person in this position frequently communicates with outside parties and provides presentations to the public and must be able to communicate accurate information to large audiences in these situations.
This position reports to the Housing Director and will have direct supervisory responsibilities.
Salary and Benefits
$40,000 - $50,000, commensurate with experience.
Houston Community Land Trust provides a competitive comprehensive benefit package, including medical, dental and vision coverage, life insurance, as well as 15 days’ vacation and paid holidays.
How to Apply
To apply to this position, please email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. In the subject line of the email, include your last name and “Homebuyer Coordinator Application.”