The Neighborhood Preservation Coalition of New York State (NPCNYS) is seeking an experienced, high energy leader with excellent communication and management skills to lead this statewide membership association of organizations and stakeholders focused on affordable housing and community development. As the key leader of the small staff, the executive director requires a broad perspective, a can-do attitude, and a great deal of energy and creativity.
NPCNYS leads nonprofit affordable housing and community development organizations in ensuring that residents with low- and moderate-incomes have housing and economic opportunities in neighborhoods throughout the urban and suburban areas of New York State. As a member-driven 501(c)(3) association that has nearly 150 members, NPCNYS is governed by a 16-member board of directors. For additional information please visit the NPCNYS website at www.npcnys.org.
Reporting to the board of directors, the executive director provides direction and leadership for the organization's mission and vision, represents and speaks for the organization and its work, and manages the day to day operations. The executive director is responsible for both internal and external relationships and will work with the board to chart the future direction of the organization.
Key responsibilities include providing leadership to NPCNYS, working with members and staff of the New York State Legislature on the Neighborhood Preservation Program (NPP) and other affordable housing and community development policies, raising funds, overseeing daily operations, understanding the organization's financial position and outlook, providing technical assistance to members, supporting NPCNYS's board and members, and representing NPCNYS to various external audiences.
This position is based in Albany, NY.
Leadership & Management:
- Ensure ongoing local programmatic excellence, rigorous program evaluation, and consistent quality of finance and administration, fundraising, communications, and systems; recommend timelines and resources needed to achieve the strategic goals
- Maintain and build strategic relations within the New York State Legislative and Executive branches.
- Actively engage and energize NPCNYS staff, volunteers, board members, partnering organizations, and funders
- Develop, maintain, and support a strong Board of Directors: serve as ex-officio of each committee, seek and build board involvement with strategic direction
- Lead, coach, develop, and retain NPCNYS staff.
- Fiscal and personnel management
Fundraising & Communications:
- Expand local revenue generating and fundraising activities to support program operations
- Grantwriting to support enhanced Coalition operations
- Deepen and refine all aspects of communications—from web presence to external relations with the goal of creating a stronger brand
- Maintain and enhance ongoing communications with membership
Relationship and Partnership Building:
- Continue to build and expand relationships with NPCNYS members, establishing and sustaining relationships with the funders, and political leaders
- Be an external local and statewide presence
- Assists in planning and implementing workshops and meetings for the annual conference, engaging strategic partners and members where possible
- Leads Coalition’s policy advocacy efforts at state and federal levels
- Provide one-on-one technical assistance and group trainings on relevant topics
Required Education and Experience:
Bachelor’s degree required; graduate work in political science, public administration, urban affairs, public policy, urban planning, social services or related field preferred; or, a combination of education and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities. At least 5 years of management experience. The chosen candidate will have specific experience in government relations, membership development and management, and public and media relations. She or he must have a passion for the mission of NPCNYS and the credibility to enlist others in that effort.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Strong research, writing, and interpersonal communications skills
- Attention to detail
- Ability to prioritize and meet deadlines
- Supervision of staff
Competitive salary and benefits.
Send a resume and cover letter to the attention of the Search Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org by May 31, 2019. Please place “Executive Director Search” in the subject line.