Job Title: Executive Director
Organization: Kansas City Community Land Trust (KCCLT)
Location: Kansas City, Missouri
Position Type: Full-time
The Kansas City Community Land Trust (KCCLT) is poised for a period of significant growth including geographic expansion, spreading land trust operations across the metro, and enhancing our portfolio of development projects. KCCLT seeks an Executive Director to lead our organization through this expansion.
The Executive Director will work both remotely and on-site on development projects, and oversee daily operations, fundraising efforts, project execution, and strategic partnerships. The Executive Director will be the driving force behind KCCLT's transformation from a neighborhood-based organization to a regionally-scaled, membership-driven entity. This role demands exceptional project management, attention to detail, leadership, professionalism, strategic planning, budgeting, and decision-making skills. The Executive Director will serve as the primary spokesperson for KCCLT, promoting the benefits of Community Land Trust (CLT) homeownership and fostering essential relationships with stakeholders.
- Strategic Leadership:
- Lead KCCLT through a period of growth and transition, steering the organization by developing and implementing a strategic vision.
- Demonstrate strong project management abilities, meticulous attention to detail, and effective leadership in a challenging environment.
- Collaborate closely with stakeholders, the Board of Directors, and community partners to ensure efficient and effective operations.
- Supervise additional staff.
- Fundraising and Financial Management:
- With staff and partners, develop and implement a robust fundraising plan to secure diverse funding sources, including grants, donations, and partnerships.
- Oversee completion and reporting on grants’ scopes-of-work.
- Manage budgeting, financial planning, and reporting to ensure fiscal responsibility.
- Program Development and Project Management:
- With staff partners, manage existing real estate projects and lay the groundwork for future initiatives, including CLT rehabilitations, scattered-site CLT infill builds, mixed-use developments, and townhomes at the decommissioned Marlborough School site.
- Community Engagement and Advocacy:
- Act as a prominent advocate for KCCLT, representing the organization to the public.
- Establish and maintain productive working relationships and partnerships.
- At least three years of experience in housing development, economic development, community development, and community organizing, with a demonstrated track record of successful housing development projects.
- A minimum of three years of senior leadership experience in a nonprofit organization.
- Expertise in developing strategic plans for a diverse range of projects spanning multiple counties.
- Demonstrated knowledge of various public and private funding sources for real estate development, including LIHTC, HOME, CDBG, and tax incentives.
- Strong leadership and effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Proven ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously in the dynamic world of real estate development and nonprofit work.
- Experience working with volunteer boards of directors and membership-based nonprofit organizations.
- A balanced approach to big-picture thinking and attention to detail.
- Lived experience within historically/systemically marginalized communities.
- Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion principles.
Salary and Benefits:
- Starting compensation at $90,000, negotiable based on qualifications.
- Benefits package totaling 15% of the salary.
- Flexible work schedule, sick leave, vacation leave, and holidays.
Please submit the following to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line "Executive Director Application."
1. Letter of introduction detailing your preparedness for the role and your journey thus far.
2. PDF portfolio of affordable housing projects in which you have participated, including project details, your role, funding sources, and narratives about major challenges and solutions.
3. Current resume.
KCCLT is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, age, disability, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law. We encourage candidates from diverse backgrounds to apply.
Research has shown that individuals from underrepresented backgrounds may be less inclined to apply for positions if they do not meet every qualification. We value finding the best candidate for the job and encourage those who meet key qualifications to apply. Please use your cover letter or introductory email to address how you will tackle aspects of the job for which you have less experience. If you have questions about meeting the qualifications, feel free to reach out to us for clarification.