Valley Community Development (Valley) is seeking a highly experienced, dynamic, entrepreneurial, and visionary leader who will guide this vibrant and highly recognized community-based organization to its next level of development and growth. The new Executive Director will provide leadership for a nonprofit which is fiscally stable and well positioned to expand its work to empower low- and moderate-income people and underserved populations manage and improve the quality of their lives. The organization addresses these needs through the development and preservation of affordable housing, providing homeownership education, improving economic opportunities through small business technical assistance, and fostering community leadership in Hampshire and Franklin Counties of Western Massachusetts.
Valley Community Development is based in Northampton, located in Hampshire County Massachusetts, and resides in a region influenced by sixteen colleges and universities, creating a vital and engaged academic, artistic, politically active, and LGBTQ-friendly community environment. Valley’s new, modern office is located on the first floor of its newly developed property in downtown Northampton.
Valley’s very active and engaged resident-based 15-member board of directors meets bi-monthly to govern the organization and provide strategic oversight. Valley Community Development has a budget of about $750,000 and six full-time staff.
For additional information about Valley, please visit: https://valleycdc.com/
Profile of the Ideal Candidate
Desired Skills and Experience
- Demonstrated knowledge of affordable housing development; technical experience, such as evaluation of potential projects, negotiation, and financing is a plus.
- At least seven years of progressive, senior- level nonprofit staff management experience.
- Knowledge about, and experience working within the nonprofit community development field.
- Proven track record of successful fund development, including individual donor campaigns.
- Experience with, and sensitivity to working with diverse communities and cultures.
- Successful experience in developing and cultivating relationships with public officials, neighborhood institutions, and other political and community stakeholders.
- Demonstrated competence in nonprofit financial management.
- Experience taking an organization to its next level, developing new initiatives, and successfully managing change.
- Demonstrated success in working collaboratively with consultants and board members to develop and implement strategic plans.
- Experience working within a participatory, collaborative management model.
- Successful experience working with an active board of directors and in building a collaborative relationship between and among boards, staff, and community residents.
- Excellent interpersonal, and relationship-building skills along with excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Previous experience as an executive director is a plus.
Leadership Style and Personal Attributes
- Well-organized, solid follow-through and implementation abilities; able to prioritize and balance conflicting demands.
- Demonstrated ability to be a strategic, forward-thinking leader who is entrepreneurial, visionary, and takes initiative.
- Ability to effectively multi-task.
- Resilient and flexible, willing to jump in and participate with other staff as necessary.
- Facilitative leadership style that encourages meaningful staff participation, initiative and problem-solving, while maintaining accountability.
- Ability to be self-reflective, and open to listening and learning.
Compensation and Benefit
The compensation package is commensurate with experience within the framework of the organization’s operating budget and in conjunction with Valley’s generous benefits package. Compensation is competitive with nonprofit organizations in the Western MA region.
Applications and Nominations
Interested candidates should submit materials online to website application. For a complete position profile and application submission requirements, please go to
http://valleycdc.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Valley-Community-Development-ED-Position-Profile-1.pdf. Candidates are strongly encouraged to submit material as soon as possible, as they will be reviewed at regular intervals. Applications will be accepted until March 2, 2020.
Valley Community Development is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and actively seeks a diverse pool of candidates for this position. We encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds and cultures to apply.