About the Organization
Established in 2016, City Roots Community Land Trust, Inc. (City Roots) is a community-driven organization which works to establish and promote permanently-affordable, quality home and community-controlled ownership, and rental opportunities in Rochester, New York. We are a collaborative of homeowners, renters, youth, community allies and partners. City Roots’ mission is to permanently preserve affordability through community owned and managed land, to empower neighbors, and to bridge socioeconomic divisions in order to secure development without displacement. City Roots’ vision is to strengthen the Rochester community by cultivating the perspective that land owned by the community can help make housing a human right and affordable for all.
Reporting to a community-led Board of Directors, the Executive Director (ED) provides direction and leadership for the mission and vision of City Roots, represents the organization and its work, and manages day-to-day operations. The ED is responsible for both internal and external relationships. The ED is responsible for engaging strategic partners, community leaders and consultants, and will work with the board to execute the current goals and chart future course of City Roots.
Management and Leadership
- Support the Board and committees
- Direct fundraising efforts and oversee the financial systems and health of the organization
- Manage consultants and partners to exercise real estate, management and accounting functions
- Promote City Roots and the Community Land Trust model as an innovative vehicle for community control and permanently affordable home and community-controlled ownership, and rental opportunities.
Resource Development and Partnerships
- Develop and strengthen relationships with community stakeholders, and engage the community to foster neighborhood cohesion, planning and revitalization
- Work with the Board to develop and implement fundraising and grant writing strategies to ensure adequate working capital and long-term sustainability
- Develop and sustain relationships with lenders, investors, funders and government officials
- Serve as liaison with the City of Rochester, Monroe County, and local organizations and businesses
- Work with the Board and consultants to implement Board decisions and manage projects related to real estate development, asset management, and community-building and empowerment programs
- Explore affordable housing projects, negotiate acquisition of properties, and manage the development, financing, rehabilitation, and ownership or rental transition processes
- Develop, foster and coordinate community input in the development process, and build active participation and a sense of ownership among residents in City Roots’ properties and the community
- Ensure sound fiscal accountability and coordinate financial activities based on plans and policies developed in concert with the Board and committees
- Oversee and manage contracts, including those for grants, property and asset management
- Ensure compliance with grant requirements, reporting and procedures
Qualifications and Skills
- Personal commitment to City Roots’ mission and values, including the empowerment of community voices and control, and development without displacement
- Ability to be flexible, adaptable and collaborative in the face of challenges
- BS/BA degree plus relevant graduate degree preferred, or equivalent life/work experience
- Demonstrated experience in nonprofit leadership and management
- Demonstrated experience and success in at least one of the following areas: affordable housing development, real estate asset management, community land trusts and community organizing
- Proven ability to foster positive relationships with, and to manage, staff and consultants
- Demonstrated experience in developing and implementing successful fundraising strategies
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and ability to relate to the community, residents and external partners and stakeholders
- Detail-oriented with strong organizational, planning and problem-solving skills
- Experience working in diverse, multicultural communities
- Experience working with city, county and state government agencies
- Proficiency in Excel (or other spreadsheet program) for accounting and data management is a plus
Salary Range and Benefits
$50,000-$65,000 (commensurate with experience) plus benefits
Candidates should send a resume and a cover letter outlining interest, relevant skills and experience to email@example.com. Review of candidates will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
City Roots is an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to social and racial justice, and actively seeks a diverse pool of candidates. Individuals from under-represented groups are strongly encouraged to apply.