Headwaters Community Housing Trust is a nonprofit, community-based 501(c)(3) organization committed to creating and preserving permanently affordable homes for local working families and individuals who otherwise would be priced out of the market in Bozeman and the surrounding region. Currently staffed by a national community land trust consultant, Headwaters wishes to recruit and hire a talented, full-time, permanent Executive Director in 2022 to lead the organization and its ambitious work plan.
Governed by an engaged board of directors, Headwaters is currently developing Bridger View, a mixed-income, sustainable neighborhood next to Story Mill Community Park comprised of 62 owner-occupied homes, half of which will be priced for purchase by middle-income households. In addition to committing to the stewardship of these 31 homes and homeowners, Headwaters will be looking to expand its portfolio of permanently affordable homes in the region in 2023 and beyond.
Headwaters Community Housing Trust Executive Director
Under the direction and guidance of the Headwaters board of directors, the Executive Director is responsible for overseeing organizational leadership, financial viability, program management, strategic communications, and operations. The Executive Director will report directly to the board of directors.
1. Organizational Leadership: Work with the board of directors to carry out Headwaters Community Housing Trust’s mission.
• Represent Headwaters in discussions regarding potential partnerships and collaborations to bring additional permanently affordable homes into the Headwaters portfolio.
• Manage Headwaters as a nonprofit organization, a community land trust, and a small business as well as oversee its activities in a manner that is consistent with the organization’s mission, priorities and work plans, as defined by the board of directors.
• Board development via clear communication with the board of directors.
• Provide, in a timely and accurate manner, the information and guidance needed for the board to function in its governing role.
2. Financial Viability: Develop sufficient resources to ensure the financial health of Headwaters Community Housing Trust.
• Manage responsibility for fundraising and developing and maintaining revenue sources needed to support Headwaters’ mission and activities.
• Ensure fiscal integrity of Headwaters, including working with the board of directors to develop annual operating budgets, in addition to providing monthly financial statements that accurately reflect its current financial condition.
3. Program Management: Oversee the planning and implementation of Headwaters Community Housing Trust programs and projects.
• Act as owner’s agent in successful completion of the Bridger View neighborhood
• Coordinate the marketing and sale of 20 Headwaters homes in the Bridger View neighborhood to eligible, qualified homebuyer households.
• Supervise the Stewardship Coordinator in the stewardship of Headwaters homes and homeowners.
4. Strategic Communications: Serve as the public face of Headwaters Community Housing Trust and work to build a broad base of local awareness and support for the organization and its mission.
• Assist board of directors in designing and implementing a public relations strategy to educate various constituencies regarding Headwaters and its initiatives.
• Conduct extensive community outreach and education to market the community land trust (CLT) concept and Headwaters’ mission and to recruit members, donors and interested potential homebuyers.
• Advocate for public policies and funding resources supportive of Headwaters’ mission and projects.
5. Organization Operations: Oversee and allocate appropriate resources to ensure effective and successful Headwaters Community Housing Trust operations.
• Hire, supervise and evaluate program staff as organizational expansion and operating budget capacity allows.
• Negotiate contracts and oversee engagement of contracted service providers, including accountants, attorneys, and other professionals.
• Interact appropriately with homeowners, prospective homebuyers, contractors, consultants, donors, and other stakeholders.
• Ensure organizational projects and activities are conducted in full compliance with health and safety guidelines and all statutory requirements.
6. Other Duties: Perform other duties and activities as assigned by the Headwaters Community Housing Trust board of directors.
The Headwaters Community Housing Trust Executive Director must have at least a bachelor's degree in Community Development, Public Administration, Business Planning, or a related field plus experience in project management, real estate finance, housing development or related field – or be able to demonstrate an equivalent combination of education and experience that is sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the position, as listed above. A valid driver’s license is required.
• Additionally, passion for Headwater’s mission and commitment to increase and preserve the pool of permanently affordable below-market homes through the community land trust model in Bozeman and throughout the region is a must.
Desired Qualities, Experience & Skills
• Relevant experience in housing affordability, specifically community land trusts or other shared equity homeownership models.
• Experience as an executive director or senior manager in a nonprofit, governmental, or for-profit organization preferred – with demonstrated ability in organizational management, financial management, and fundraising.
• Experience with building community support and consensus among a variety of constituencies, such as community leaders, government officials, consultants, and other stakeholders.
• Skill in both written and oral communication, including public speaking experience.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others.
o Skill in development and implementation of outreach and community engagement efforts.
o Skill in working with diverse racial, ethnic, and multi-cultural constituencies.
• Skilled in Microsoft Office applications, including spreadsheet and word processing, plus familiarity with databases.
The Successful Candidate Will
• Demonstrate strong verbal and written communication skills and respond to a variety of questions from a diverse range of individuals, both internal and external to the organization.
• Demonstrate initiative, professional judgment, and consistent decision making when interpreting and applying policies and procedures.
• Maintain, process, and verify detailed records with a high degree of accuracy and confidentiality.
• Possess strong management and organizational skill to prioritize multiple work assignments, meet deadlines, and exercise adaptability to changing priorities in a busy setting.
• Establish and maintain positive working relationships with the Board of Directors, professional and community partners and Headwater’s residents.
Position Special Requirements/Additional Information
• This job description should not be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities, or requirements, but a general description of the job. Nothing contained herein restricts Headwaters Community Housing Trust Board of Directors or its agent’s rights to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
Headwaters offers opportunities for professional growth, a competitive salary ranging from $80,000 to $100,000, and benefits package that is an agreed upon allocation between health insurance, health savings account, and retirement equaling up to 25% of salary. Our salary range is broad, and it is customary for candidates to join Headwaters at the lower half of the range to leave room for growth, learning, and development in the role and range. It is uncommon for salaries to fall above the mid-point at the time of hire. We negotiate actual salaries with final candidates based on their experience in similar roles, and expertise related to the qualifications. This information is offered in support of our commitment to transparency.
Applicants can send a resume and cover letter to: email@example.com