Eastern Environmental Law Center (EELC) is hiring a Staff Attorney whose docket will include working in partnership with community groups and environmental justice organizations advocating for overburdened communities in New Jersey.
EELC is New Jersey’s sole, nonprofit public interest environmental law firm. Based in Newark, EELC provides legal assistance to community groups and environmental advocacy organizations working to achieve environmental justice, defend open space and implement clean-energy solutions. EELC has been doing this work since 1995.
Our environmental justice work is at the center of EELC’s mission to protect communities from pollution and promote public health. This includes advocating for clean air and clean water in overburdened communities, assuring that contaminated sites are cleaned up and reducing impacts from polluting facilities. The attorney in this position will also focus on community engagement, state and local governmental proceedings and other legal advocacy as guided by EELC’s clients and partners.
EELC strives to provide high-quality legal services in a diverse, equitable and inclusive work environment.
- Help develop and expand EELC’s outreach to, and partnerships with, community groups and environmental justice organizations in New Jersey and the region
- Assist with the development and management of relationships with clients and partners
- Engage in team problem-solving and legal-strategy development
- Work with clients, experts and partners to develop legal strategies
- Participate in litigation tasks, including factual investigation, legal research, discovery, brief drafting, witness preparation and oral advocacy
- Support efforts to ensure a diverse, equitable, inclusive and team-oriented work culture
- Juris Doctorate degree and admission to the New Jersey bar.
- Experience partnering with community, environmental justice or other grassroots groups
- Excellent communication, research and writing skills
- Ability to work both independently and in collaboration with a team
- Contributes to the creation of a diverse, equitable and inclusive work culture
- Commitment to public-interest law and a passion for EELC’s mission
- Experience in community lawyering or community organizing preferred
- Spanish fluency preferred
Interested candidates should email the following application materials to Amy Koehler (email@example.com) with the subject line “[Candidate’s Last Name] EJ Staff Attorney Application”:
- One or two page cover letter addressing (1) how EELC’s mission aligns with your goals; and/or (2) any experience you have working with communities or individuals who have been impacted by environmental injustice or other injustice
- Legal writing sample that primarily reflects your work
- List of two references Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.