Seeking a dedicated senior level position to lead a growing real estate portfolio including:
1. Develop real estate opportunities consistent with the mission of the organization;
2. Support existing and new real estate projects in the district with technical assistance, connections to capital, tenanting, and other assistance; and
3. Support and develop real estate programs and incentives to further the real estate development objectives of the District.
Experience and Education
• Previous work experience in real estate, community and economic development required.
• Master’s in Real Estate, Planning, Urban Design, Business, Architecture, or related field.
• 6 - 10 years related job experience
$90,000 - $110,000 commensurate with experience
The Memphis Medical District Collaborative (MMDC) is seeking a senior level position to join our team and manage and grow our real estate portfolio. MMDC seeks applicants who have an understanding and history of developing, difficult, small to mid-sized real estate projects in existing urban contexts.
Established in 2016, MMDC is a not-for-profit, community development organization committed to strengthening the communities between and around the eight major anchor institutions in the Memphis Medical District. The Memphis Medical District is home to eight medical and educational anchor institutions and more than 10,000 residents. Together, the institutions have more than 30,000 employees and students, a collective operating budget of $3 Billion, are in the midst of more than $3.5 Billion in planned or current capital expansions, and control more than 300 acres of real estate. The institutions, along with local and national philanthropy, support the work of MMDC to revitalize the Memphis Medical District, create a vibrant link between Downtown and Midtown Memphis, and build community wealth.
MMDC Program Portfolios
MMDC’s approach is comprehensive and inclusive of residents, employees, students, and visitors to the district. In addition to connecting the dots across the eight institutions, MMDC also focuses on the following program portfolios:
1. Quality Public Spaces – Parks, Streetscapes, Plazas, and Connections.
2. Clean and Safe Streets – District Ambassador program; Coordination of safety efforts and environmental improvements.
3. Programming and Marketing – Activation of spaces and telling the District’s story.
4. Community and Economic Development – Supporting and connecting the diverse neighborhoods in the District through planning, growing and attracting small businesses as well as supporting existing businesses.
5. Real Estate – Cultivating a rich environment for appropriate development with a focus on creating mixed-use, mixed income places.
6. Anchor Programs – Leveraging institutional demand through - Live Local, Buy Local, and Hire Local Strategies.
7. Transportation and Mobility – Helping employees, students, residents and visitors safely get to and around the Memphis Medical District.
Director of Real Estate Responsibilities
The Director of Real Estate will support the President in managing and developing our planning and real estate programs and projects in the Medical District. This portfolio currently includes: site specific planning efforts; RFPs for new projects and development opportunities; district wide commercial and residential planning and infill efforts; recruitment of development consistent with residential and retail market studies; community engagement; and governmental outreach and coordination around programs and policies related to real estate development. In addition, the Director of Real Estate is expected to develop and implement the MMDC Real Estate Strategy, lead the development of mixed-use, residential, and commercial new construction and re-development projects and stand up development opportunities for other developers including identifying and leading acquisition and pre-development activities consistent with the MMDC Real Estate Strategy.
Further, the Director of Real Estate will be expected to assist MMDC President and Vice President with some organizational leadership responsibilities related to organizational finance, community engagement and communications, and board relations.
The ideal candidate will be an urbanist with a deep understanding of cities and city building strategies with an appreciation of the hyper connectivity of urban issues. They must understand and be motivated by working in emerging real estate markets. They must be committed to the regeneration of urban neighborhoods and to working closely with our network of medical and educational anchor institutions, advisers, local businesses, residents, and community leaders.
The candidate must be an energetic, self-starter, who is well organized, pays attention to details, understands real estate finance, and is capable of functioning in a very independent situation. The candidate must be confident working in a fast-paced, start-up environment, and possess a desire to grow within a dynamic and high-performing team.
Additionally, the candidate must have:
• Experience with real estate, community development, urban design, real estate financing, and economic development programs;
• A deep understanding of urban planning and design principles and practices as well as community development principles and procedures;
• A background with real estate services and transactions;
• Experience with GIS; data analytics; or design software is a plus.
• Knowledge of economic development finance, redevelopment, and emerging real estate development trends is essential;
More, we are seeking a candidate with the following attributes:
• Has a positive, open, creative and flexible attitude;
• Is comfortable managing several different types of projects simultaneously;
• Collaborates and openly shares information with team and stakeholders;
• Analyzes data, national trends, and research; and
• Wants to grow with a group of people working to make Memphis a more vibrant place.
• A master’s degree in a related field with a minimum of three years’ professional experience OR equivalent work experience.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Must be comfortable advocating for your positions and speaking in public.
• Strong organizational skills and commitment to meet deadlines.
• Passion for social, economic and/or civic issues.
• Experience with place-based initiatives (ie. CDC; medical district; innovation district; neighborhood redevelopment).
In anticipation of this position, MMDC is offering a highly competitive compensation package that includes an anticipated salary range of $90,000 to $110,000 and generous insurance and 401(k) benefits. Relocation support is available.
If you are interested in applying, please submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. In your cover letter, let us know why you are interested in this type of work and specifically what your experiences have taught you about how design of the built environment, real estate and community work together to make great places.
NO PHONE CALLS. For more information: www.mdcollaborative.org.