Working closely with and reporting to the COO, the Director of Membership recruits, renews, and retains members along with other functions related to NAHRO’s Awards Program, enhancing the overall membership experience and ensuring agency responsiveness. Along with supporting database and systems efficiency with the Information Technology Director, the Director of Membership will supervise the Customer Service Team, oversee conference registration, and support annual membership gatherings. This role will also assemble committees for special projects and provide management support for NAHRO’s bi-annual elections, serving as the liaison for the Member Services Committee, Emerging Leaders Subcommittee, and Summer Conference and Site Selection Task Forces. The Director of Membership will supervise the Customer Relations Specialist and a Conference Registrar.
In relationship to the above, near-term priorities for this role include overseeing an association management conversion, ensuring effective data and membership renewal processes, refining and delivering a high level of customer service, and building and nurturing an effective team customer service team.
The Director of Membership’s duties will include:
- Organizing and running annual membership campaigns, identifying potential members and markets and creating related marketing materials.
- Overseeing reporting responsibilities for new and returning Associates and monitoring agency memberships to ensure responsiveness to past due memberships and information accuracy, providing reports for the regions and chapters concerning members in their area as necessary.
- Addressing customer inquiries concerning membership, conferences and NAHRO with a high level of responsiveness.
- Distributing an annual membership survey on a variety of topics to solicit feedback regarding members’ needs, new products to assess technology considerations.
- Managing administrative tasks necessary to ensure updated member information including new and lapsed memberships and all related logistics.
- Overseeing the Customer Service Team to ensure adherence to processes and protocols and providing guidance and assistance as needed.
- Preparing an annual budget for the Customer Service and Member Relations Department.
- Overseeing conference registration process for annual events to ensure information accuracy, effective marketing materials, logistical supervision of the registration process and other types of administrative oversight as necessary.
- Managing the Awards Programs, which include the Awards of Merit/Excellence program and the Fellows and Emerging Leaders awards. In addition, creating a variety of materials and tools to support regional and national juries, overseeing a national jury selection process, and developing and managing the production of a catalog for the Awards of Merit along with related presentation materials for all award programs.
- Serving as a liaison to the Member Services Committee, Emerging Leaders Subcommittee, Fellows, Summer Conference Task Force, and Site Selection Task Force, overseeing all meeting and organizational logistics as well as other committee tasks.
- Assisting in conducting and overseeing the bi-annual and national elections to ensure the accuracy and timeliness of database entries, generating voter lists, ballots, and other logistical materials.
- Collaborating with the IT Director to troubleshoot issues with the system and enhance/optimize existing features.
NAHRO utilizes Microsoft Outlook, Office (e.g., Word, PowerPoint, One Note, Excel) and Protech (built in Dynamics 365) as its Association Management System (AMS). Additionally, NAHRO utilizes Adobe platforms, Power Bi, Zoom (i.e., webinar, meeting, and phone), Canva, DocuSign and Informz as its email marketing and information-sharing platform. Currently, NAHRO’s finances are managed in Great Plains software and Quick Books. The association is looking to streamline its finance operations and is actively exploring new and more robust technologies (e.g., Bill.com, Sage Intacct). NAHRO’s website is built and managed in WordPress and has single sign on (SSO) integrations with Dynamics 365 and YM Careers. NAHRO outsources its IT and the COO serves as the project manager for the contractor.
Experience and Attributes
Successful candidates for this position will share NAHRO’s commitment to its diverse membership and mission and will bring expertise in association management to the organization to support its growth and scale.
NAHRO seeks candidates who bring a variety of experiences and attributes including:
- A minimum of 5-7 years operations and/or membership-focused management experience in (preferably in a membership association or non-profit entity) or other equivalent combination of education and experience which meet the minimum qualifications requirement
- Demonstrated expertise and knowledge of best practices in membership association management
- Exceptional ability to work collaboratively and cooperatively with executives and associates at all level and comfort and experience in managerial and supervisory roles
- Excellent writing, oral communication, organizational and customer service skills, with the ability to communicate verbally and in writing with tact and diplomacy
- Detail-oriented with excellent follow-up skills and the ability to manage multiple tasks
- Strong problem solver and analytical thinker
- Technically savvy, proficient in Microsoft Office suite, with a firm knowledge of database management
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university in Business Administration, Accounting, Finance or other business-related field preferred, and a minimum of two to four years of proven association experience preferred
Salary commensurate with experience. This position is based in Washington, DC and functions on a 2-3 days/week in-office schedule. NAHRO offers a generous slate of benefits including medical, dental, vision, and life insurances, transportation allowances, and retirement, among others.
NAHRO is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. Candidates for employment are considered without regard to race, age, religion, color, gender, national origin, disability, military status, marital status, sexual orientation, family responsibilities, political affiliation or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Our non-discrimination policy applies to all facets of employment, including recruiting, employment, promotion, demotion, dismissal, and compensation.
About Marcum’s Nonprofit & Social Sector Group
On behalf of NAHRO, Marcum’s Nonprofit & Social Sector Group is working with the CEO to advance the search. Founded in 1984, we are, and always have been, a mission-driven professional services firm seeking to do more for nonprofits and socially conscious companies like NAHRO. Learn more about our work at http://marcumllp.com/industries/nonprofit-social-sector.