The Better Housing Coalition is a regional leader in affordable housing development and management. Since 1988, the organization has evolved into the region’s largest nonprofit community development corporation. BHC creates high-quality homes for residents of modest means, and empowers them with programs and tools to help them reach their fullest potential, at all stages of life. The Better Housing Coalition owns and manages more than 1,400 apartments located in the city of Richmond, Henrico and Chesterfield counties. In order to accomplish our mission, it is essential for BHC to attract and retain energetic and knowledgeable employees who share its values.
If you are interested in helping BHC achieve their goals, please apply for the position of Director of Fund Development to grow philanthropic gifts to the organization. The Director of Fund Development oversees and advances BHC’s individual giving strategy, including annual fund, major gifts and planned gifts; enhances corporate and foundation relationships and grant strategy; and forecasts endowment campaigns and future capital needs. The Director of Fund Development is a strategic member of the External Affairs team and will work collaboratively with fund development and communications colleagues, board members, key senior staff and volunteers to support all aspects of the organization’s annual, capital, endowment campaigns and priorities. The Director of Fund Development reports to the Vice President, External Affairs.
Please visit https://www.betterhousingcoalition.org/get-involved/career-opportunities/ for a full job description.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Bachelor's Degree and minimum of five (5) years of professional fund development or related experience with increasing levels of responsibility. Experience with capital campaigns preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to attract and increase philanthropic gifts.
- Ability to forge strategic relationships with a variety of diverse individuals and funding partners at all giving levels.
- High level of initiative, creativity, sensitivity and motivation required. Candidate must possess resourcefulness, a high degree of flexibility and problem-solving ability.
- Ability to manage multiple fund development initiatives, both independently and within a team setting.
- Excellent communication, listening, and interpersonal skills. Excellent verbal, writing, and editing skills.
- Strong public speaking skills and the ability to craft persuasive oral and written presentations.
- Experience with database management, eTapestry a plus.