RIHousing –Deputy Executive Director
RIHousing is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
What it’s All About:
This position will oversee all federal programs at RIHousing. It will work closely with department directors to administer, adapt and develop programs and mortgage business lines that suit the rapidly changing nature of affordable housing and constituent needs. As Deputy Executive Director, the incumbent will work closely with the Executive Director and the Chief Financial Officer to strategically identify and implement housing finance initiatives that will result in the expansion and diversification of RIHousing’s service and revenue base. The Deputy Executive Director is a day-to-day resource for the division directors, providing program guidance and strategic suggestions while encouraging the maximum level of effectiveness, cooperation, transparency, fairness, engagement and partnership within the agency and with external partners and customers.
The position requires interpretive, adaptive and uncharted problem solving to achieve mission goals and financial stability. It requires integration of major operations and agency-wide coordination of strategic functions and has controlling impact on end results. Skills in understanding, selecting, developing and motivating people are important in the highest degree. This position has shared accountability for the total management of the organization and by reason of scope, independent complexity and high degree of effect on organizational results is subject only to guidance from the Executive Director, Board of Commissioners and the general public. This position is responsible for financial decisions that have a significant impact on the financial viability of RIHousing and interacts with diverse populations and promotes policies which affect thousands of people.
What You’ll Do on a Daily Basis:
- Promote analysis and review of housing programs; constantly seeking to expand and improve the services and business lines in support of the growth of mortgage origination offered by RIHousing and ensures the organization’s financial sustainability.
- Understand the balance between providing housing opportunities to a broad range of low and moderate-income individuals and families and being a financially self-sustaining organization.
- Build on the strong foundation that RIHousing has created while developing and following through on new initiatives. He or she will explore initiatives and best practices from other states and agencies and consider the feasibility of implementing them at RIHousing.
- Critically analyze the state’s housing needs and help direct RIHousing in a manner that addresses those needs.
- Understand the impact of local, state and national events on RIHousing’s mission and financial situation.
- Work with division directors and program managers to develop and adapt programs that suit the rapidly changing nature of housing delivery and constituent needs.
- Assure that the organization has useful management information systems with data that allows management and staff to make more informed decisions about programs and strategies.
- Coordinate programs within RIHousing and build partnerships with other state agencies, cities, towns and other public and community housing agencies.
- Represent the agency and Executive Director in key community activities and industry organizations to provide a high degree of positive visibility for RIHousing.
- Provide advice to the Executive Director and strategic guidance to the entire organization.
What You’ll Bring to the Team:
- Provide resources for the division directors, providing program guidance and strategic suggestions while encouraging the maximum level of effectiveness, cooperation, transparency, fairness, engagement and partnership within the agency and with external partners and customers.
- Be an active member and leader of the state’s housing and social service communities and helps build on RIHousing’s positive image among constituents, Governor’s office, members of the General Assembly and Congressional delegation.
- Professionally work with state and national leaders and partners in the creation of sound and effective housing programs and policies in Rhode Island and across the country.
- Provide advice to the Executive Director, strategic guidance to the entire organization and on various occasions be called to act as or represent the CEO of the organization and in the absence of the Executive Director, the Deputy Executive Director may be called upon to act as CEO and must be prepared to work alongside the Executive Director or independently during emergency situations.
What You’ll Need to Succeed:
- 15 years of broad-based senior-level general management experience – directing and overseeing the administration of programs – in a service-driven organization of comparable complexity
- Must have knowledge of mortgage financing and federal programs
- Must have demonstrated achievement of high standards of organizational performance and productivity, in the face of limited resources and persistent customer needs
- Experience with the administration of a high-profile government or charitable organization
- Experience and judgment to strategically identify and implement initiatives
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills, as well as negotiation, problem-solving, outcome measurement and analysis skills
- Knowledge and experience with housing, housing finance, housing development, community lending and community development will be considered a major asset
- Knowledge of single-family lending products
- Familiarity with federal rental assistance programs
- Successful track record of mortgage and business development preferred
- Must demonstrate very high levels of integrity, ethics and respect for others
- An advanced degree in public administration, business administration, law or public policy is highly preferred
- Competitive salary
- Parking Stipend
- Medical/Dental/ Vision/Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Retirement Options
- Education Reimbursement
- Onsite Fitness Classes
- Volunteer Days
- Winner of “Best Places to Work” 2016, 2018, 2019
- Worksite Health Award 2013-2019
RIHousing strives to ensure that all people who live or work in Rhode Island can afford a healthy, attractive home that meets their needs. A good home provides the foundation upon which individuals and families thrive, children learn and grow, and communities prosper.
To Achieve Our Mission, We:
- Offer fair, affordable and innovative lending programs.
- Provide housing related education to consumers and others.
- Promote and finance sensible development that builds healthy, vibrant communities.
- Provide housing grants and subsidies to Rhode Islanders with the greatest need.
- Team up with partners to improve everything we do.
RIHousing uses its resources to provide low-interest loans, grants, education and assistance to help Rhode Islanders find, rent, buy, build and keep a good home. Created by the General Assembly in 1973, RIHousing is a privately funded public purpose corporation.
RIHousing requires its employees to be highly motivated and knowledgeable, have a sound understanding of the changing needs of Rhode Island's housing market, be willing to work within and toward a smoothly integrated operation, demonstrate a commitment to serve the people of Rhode Island, especially those with low and moderate incomes in need of safe and affordable homes, and possess a high level of integrity and a deep respect for all Rhode Islanders, including customers, partners and fellow employees.
Apply online at www.rihousing.com with your resume and cover letter.