The highly regarded St. Ambrose Housing Aid Center (www.stambros.org) is seeking an experienced operational manager to join the senior management team as Deputy Director and help to continue to build its record of exceptional service to lower income residents of Baltimore. St. Ambrose is Baltimore’s oldest nonprofit housing provider and has served more than 125,000 residents over its now more than 50 year history.
About The Organization
St. Ambrose Housing Aid Center was founded in 1968 by a Jesuit seminarian who set out to help families buy their first home and to preserve homeownership in Baltimore’s neighborhoods. Its mission is to create, preserve and maintain equal housing opportunities with low and moderate income people, primarily in Baltimore City, and to encourage and support strong and diverse neighborhoods. Over the years, it has developed five distinct but related housing programs that reach over 3,000 low to moderate income individuals and families a year. Through that work it has gained a very positive reputation both within the communities it serves, and with its funders, as an organization that can be trusted to follow through on its commitments.
St. Ambrose’s 2019 expenditures were just under $10 million. It is governed by a 12 member board of directors, and most of its work is carried out by a staff of 43.
The Position and Leadership Opportunity
The Deputy Director position is one which was recently recreated after an 8 year hiatus, throughout the tenure of Executive Director, Gerard Joab. As the organization has continued to grow and develop, it became clear that the operational management demands of the organization require additional attention, in order to free the Executive Director to focus to a greater extent on organizational strategy development, fund development and external relations. St. Ambrose is continuing this phase in a sound position. It has deep roots in its community, a strong board and skilled senior management. In a time of challenge to all nonprofit organizations, it has developed a strong programmatic base, a diverse financial base of support and a solid reputation, both locally and nationally. There is broad consensus within the organization that it is in a relatively stable stage of its life that allows it the breathing room to ask the fundamental question “How do we strengthen our capacity to do our work effectively and efficiently over time?”
Reporting and Responsibilities
The Deputy Director for St. Ambrose carries a broad range of both internal and external responsibilities. Reporting to the Executive Director, The Deputy Director plays an important role in a broad range of activities related to institutional planning and resource management as well as program development, implementation and evaluation. The Deputy Director represents the organization in public events and meetings, interacting on behalf of the Executive Director when it is impossible for him/her to be present. The ideal candidate must be both a strategic thinker and an articulate spokesperson for the objectives and ambitions of the agency.
- Manage five direct reports - Director of Real Estate Development, Director of Rental Services, Director of Integrated Counseling, Director of Legal Services and Director of Homesharing; these departments comprise the vast majority of St. Ambrose’s staff;
- Analyze operations in order to evaluate performance of the agency and its staff;
- Develop, coordinate and execute policies and procedures affecting all areas of the agency as well as recommend and implement systems to improve operations;
- Work with department managers to establish departmental plans in support of short and long-range goals;
- Ensure that departments achieve annual goals;
- Support the department directors in planning and managing departmental staff meetings;
- Work with the Executive Director in essential internal agency leadership activities (human resources, administration, and organizational planning);
- Identify best practices and improve internal systems with an eye toward future needs and budget realities;
- Coordinate the activities of various sub-committees of the Board of Directors and facilitate the production of minutes and various activities of the committees;
- Represent the agency at professional gatherings and at civic social events and conventions;
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Executive Director.
- Bachelor degree in related field, MBA a plus;
- Minimum 10 years in a senior management position in a nonprofit organization, foundation, or government agency;
- Significant team-building and supervisory experience in non-profit environment;
- Significant experience working with external boards and committees;
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills and superior level presentation, negotiation, project management and problem-solving skills;
- Excellent planning, financial management and organizational development skills;
- Collaborative management style;
- Strong work ethic, and superior record of ethical service;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint and internet-based research.
- Track record delivering superior results, commanding respect, and assuming leadership roles;
- Success in roles requiring execution of multiple tasks while responding to multiple priorities;
- Proven ability to work with efficiency, flexibility, and good humor;
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain relationships with a wide array of people – for-profit and nonprofit, and from diverse backgrounds;
- Operate with excellence in mind in all matters, with the confidence to defend/debate ideas without ego interfering;
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills;
- Commitment to St. Ambrose Housing Aid Center’s mission, vision, values and goals;
- Ability to exercise tact and diplomacy in organizational settings;
- Transparency and directness, with substance;
- Be a self-starter, self-disciplined;
- Remain focused in the face of pressure, deliver against timelines, and not be intimidated by tasks/time limitations.
For more information or to apply, please email cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to email@example.com.
8801 Creekside Way #1321
Highlands Ranch, CO 80129
Office -- 303-703-6165
Cell -- 720-244-3943