Houston Community Land Trust (HCLT)’s mission is to make affordable homeownership achievable for limited-income households in Houston, Texas. We connect income-qualified homebuyers to perpetually affordable homes in neighborhoods across the city. HCLT also provides stewardship services and long-term support necessary for HCLT homebuyers to be successful in homeownership.
HCLT seeks a full-time Closing Specialist to join its staff. This position will be responsible for the preparation, review and quality control of all closing documents for HCLT home sales and will attend all assigned closings.
- Prepare and review closing documents for all HCLT home sales (up to 20 closings per month).
- Update and maintain complete records for each client household in HomeKeeper in coordination with other HCLT staff.
- Develop consistent recordkeeping and document tracking system using HomeKeeper.
- Attend all home closings. Must have schedule flexibility to attend closings after business hours.
- Assist HCLT clients at closings and throughout preparation of closing documents.
- Maintain the highest standard of confidentiality and sensitivity with respect to personal and financial information provided by clients.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Housing Director and Executive Director.
- At least two years of residential mortgage closing or title/escrow experience.
- Ability to attend home closings after business hours or on weekends as scheduled.
- At least two years of experience with residential closings in Texas.
- A bachelor’s degree.
- Familiarity with the HomeKeeper or SalesForce applications. Extensive training in HomeKeeper will be provided.
- Ability to work with a high volume of clients and track client cases until full documentation of the home sale is complete.
- Ability to work in a team environment and communicate well with coworkers.
- Ability to communicate effectively between multiple transaction parties (seller, buyer, title company, lender, HCLT, and HCLT partners) prior to and at closing.
- Ability to use basic office technology, including copy machines, email, scanners, printers and other common office equipment.
- Detail-focused and highly organized.
- Process-oriented, systematic and accurate in document preparation and review.
- Focused on quality and accuracy of documentation.
- Strong desire to learn and adapt to HCLT-specific closing requirements and processes.
This position requires prolonged periods in a seated or standing position in a normal office environment with acceptable lighting, temperature, and air conditions. Occasional light lifting (up to 20 pounds) and travel outside in less-than-optimal temperature conditions may be required.
Candidates must be able to remain in a stationary position for the majority of the workday, must be able to operate a computer and other common office equipment, and must be able to move about inside the office to access equipment and outside the office to attend closings. The person in this position frequently communicates with outside parties and must be able to exchange accurate information in these situations.
This position reports to the Homebuyer Support Coordinator and does not entail supervisory responsibilities.
Salary and Benefits
$35,000 - $40,000, commensurate with experience.
Houston Community Land Trust provides a competitive comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental and vision coverage, life insurance, as well as 15 days’ vacation and paid holidays.
How to Apply
To apply to this position, please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject line of the email, include your last name and “Closing Specialist Application.”