About the Organization
At Way Finders, we light pathways and open doors to homes and communities where people thrive. Way Finders, Inc. is recognized as the premier non-profit affordable housing developer based in Western Massachusetts. Our hands-on approach to the creation of affordable housing has created an active pipeline of housing projects in various stages of development throughout Western Massachusetts. Way Finders has been an active member of the Housing Partnership Network, “a network of 100 top-performing, high-capacity nonprofit housing developers, owners and financial institutions”, since its inception, and is a chartered member of NeighborWorks America, a national organization of over 240 housing and community development organizations.
We are pleased to present this excellent opportunity for a seasoned, affordable housing professional to lead our team of real estate developers, consultants, and Property Managers.
Way Finders also specializes in housing counseling, financial and first-time homebuyer education, employment training, neighborhood revitalization, and a variety of other services throughout the region. The need for Way Finders’ programs and services is great and continues to grow each year. Whether a person is experiencing a housing crisis, in need of rental assistance, or ready to purchase a first home, our Housing Centers provide a welcoming, accessible space for counseling, assistance, training and placement, and ongoing support. During our last fiscal year, Way Finders services impacted 50,000 men, women, and children in the region. Stable housing is the platform upon which we work with our clients to help them to meet their own goals and to thrive. As families thrive, so do the communities in which they live.
With headquarters located in Springfield, Massachusetts, Way Finders, Inc. is a mission-oriented, non-profit organization offering a fast-paced, professional work environment focused on achievement. We employ individuals with a strong commitment to excellence, a collaborative nature and the desire to make a difference.
As a member of the Chief Executive Team, the Chief Real Estate Officer (CREO) oversees and implements strategy, policy, and goal setting that advances the mission of Way Finders. The CREO is principally responsible for leading and supervising Way Finders’ real estate development activities, property & asset management, and the oversight of MBL Housing & Development, a subsidiary real estate development consulting firm.
The successful candidate will be an innovative thinker and have strong leadership, communication, and entrepreneurial skills. The CREO will provide direct supervision to the President of MBL Housing & Development, the Senior Vice President of Real Estate Development and the Senior Vice President of Property & Asset Management.
- Provide day-to-day leadership of Way Finders’ Real Estate Division that simultaneously fosters collaboration, strengthens performance and accomplishes the mission of Way Finders.
- Initiate, in collaboration with senior management, effective relationships with existing and potential stakeholders to ensure sufficient collaboration and support for Way Finders’ real estate activities.
- Foster an entrepreneurial approach through innovation, risk optimization, taking advantage of opportunities, and managing a dynamic organizational environment.
- Maintain the organization’s standing as a respected leader in the real estate/affordable housing development and property management fields; lead and participate actively in efforts to elevate external stakeholders’ understanding of Way Finders’ impact on the people it serves.
- Engage in and lead public policy development in the areas of affordable housing and community development.
- Lead and foster strategic and generative thinking. Lead strategic planning for real estate, engaging with senior leadership to develop and implement new initiatives.
- Lead cross-functional teams to improve outcomes and identify operational challenges.
- Foster a success-oriented, data-driven, team-building culture based on accountability and delegation within Real Estate Operations that leads to the achievement of excellence and implementation of best practices.
- Ensure that real estate activities operate consistently and ethically within the mission and values of Way Finders.
- Continuously monitor and evaluate mission appropriateness, impact, and financial sustainability of the organization’s property management portfolio, active development projects, and pipeline.
- Seek opportunities for growth, and strengthen Way Finders’ real estate business model.
- Monitor real estate operating budgets to ensure optimal allocation of financial and staff resources for both current and future plans; design and implement continuous quality assurance for all initiatives, focusing on process improvement and efficiency.
- Ensure the successful transition of projects from construction to occupancy and, when applicable, through long-term property and asset management.
- Oversee, in collaboration with the CFO, budgets and cash flows for all phases of development projects.
- Collaborate with the Chief Executive Team to develop and implement plans for the operational infrastructure of systems, processes, and personnel designed to accommodate the real estate development, property and asset management, and resident engagement objectives of our organization.
The ideal candidate will have a passion for the mission of Way Finders. We have a strong commitment to the creation of well-built, safe, and environmentally friendly housing. Equally important, Way Finders maintains high standards of care for the properties we manage and seeks to engage and support our residents in thoughtful and meaningful ways. In addition, the CREO must be a positive, flexible and strategic thinker with a good sense of humor and a commitment to working collaboratively across teams and a commitment to treating others with respect.
Specific skills and experience include:
- Master’s in Urban Planning, Real Estate, Business, Public Administration, or a discipline related to Community Development;
- 7-10 years’ experience in affordable housing, with a focus on leadership and management;
- In-depth understanding of affordable housing finance, including LIHTC
- Strong budget development and financial management skills;
- Strong relationship builder and communicator with experience leading diverse and comprehensive work teams;
- Must be data-driven and adept at analyzing and utilizing metrics and data;
- Must be strategically innovative and entrepreneurial, with the ability to develop new initiatives and proposals;
- Experience in managing programs during growth and transition.
Salary & Application
Wage between $110,000 - $130,000 depending on education and experience. Applications accepted until position is filled. Interested candidates must include a resume and cover letter. Apply at https://jobapply.page.link/Nzoa.
Way Finders is an Equal Opportunity Employer that seeks a diverse staff in order to reflect our community and those we serve. Qualified individuals from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. This position is available to all without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, disability, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, political affiliation or veteran status. We provide reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals.