New Economy Project seeks an experienced and energetic organizer to coordinate the NYC Community Land Initiative (NYCCLI) coalition and campaigns that advance community land trusts (CLTs) and social housing in New York City. The Campaign Organizer will work closely with coalition partners to carry out effective policy advocacy, education and training, and other strategies that expand community control over land and neighborhood development, as a matter of racial justice, economic democracy and just recovery.
This is an exciting opportunity to support the growing CLT movement in New York City.
- Develop effective policy advocacy, communications and research strategies that strengthen neighborhood-based and citywide CLT campaigns;
- Coordinate coalition outreach and engagement, including through membership meetings, work groups, training and one-on-one support to member organizations;
- With coalition partners, develop popular education and outreach material to strengthen grassroots participation in policy campaigns and other activities;
- Represent the coalition in meetings with elected officials and other stakeholders, at legislative hearings and public forums, with media, and in other key spaces;
- Coordinate policy and funder briefings, press events and other activities; and
Strengthen alliances with other coalitions fighting for housing and economic justice.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- At least seven years of experience in community and/or coalition organizing, preferably in New York City, with a strong track record of success
- Demonstrated commitment to racial, economic, and gender justice, and to building power of poor and working people
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, and ability to work effectively with a range of stakeholders and in diverse settings
- Familiarity with community land trusts and affordable housing landscape a plus
- Fluency in Spanish a plus
We will consider a candidate’s full range of educational, professional, and life experience. We do not require any specific level of formal educational attainment.
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience, with an expected annual salary range between $60,000 and $70,000. New Economy Project offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes health, dental, and vision insurance, 403(b) plan, and generous paid-time off.
The position is based in NYC. The position will be remote until New Economy Project staff can safely return to the office.
Please submit your resume and a brief cover letter explaining your interest in and qualifications for the position to: email@example.com, with “Campaign Organizer” in the subject line.
New Economy Project is an Equal Opportunity employer and actively recruits people of color, women, people with disabilities, members of the LGBTQ community, immigrants, and people from low-income backgrounds. We strongly encourage applications from people with lived experiences in the communities with which we work.