Administrative and Communications Assistant
Do you care about social justice and want everyone to live a decent healthy life in a wonderful community? Are you super organized? Does knowing where everything is and that your office is running smoothly give you satisfaction? Do you know your way around a Mac like a pro? Do you love meeting and speaking with people? Do you like to learn new things? If this describes you, Shelterforce has a job for you.
Shelterforce is a 44-year old, small, progressive, independent nonprofit media organization driven by a belief in the ability of all communities to be healthy and thriving. We publish Shelterforce in print and online. We also publish a weekly e-newsletter and will soon be launching a podcast.
Shelterforce is looking for an administrative assistant. In addition to general office administrative activities (phones, office organization and maintenance), the assistant will also be responsible for maintaining computer equipment, job ad management, invoicing and banking, keeping tabs on circulation, managing board activities and logistics for meetings, and other tasks as needed to keep things humming and support the work of the rest of the staff.
The assistant may have the opportunity to sit in on editorial planning meetings, work on the magazine (provide input on design, help with proofreading), and help with editorial projects, conferences, our website, outside communication, and other activities as needed.
You’d be a great fit here if you...
- Knowledgeable about and committed to the mission of Shelterforce and to social justice.
- Have a good sense of humor, speak and write well, are calm and curious;
- Know Mac computers and software really well;
- Are willing and able to keep up with the small but important things (cleaning the coffee maker, ordering supplies, keeping closets organized, making sure there are no blue m&ms in the bowl, patiently speaking with impatient people on the phone, etc.);
- Can change plans on the fly if circumstances change;
- Are not intimidated by vendors, sales people, or uncooperative equipment;
- Can lift boxes that may weigh upwards of 40 pounds;
- Can be available the occasional early morning, evening, or weekend to help at events.
And it couldn’t hurt if you…
- Have some experience with social media, Constant Contact, WordPress, InDesign, Photoshop, HTML, or Google Analytics;
- Have some experience or education in publishing, public relations, marketing, communications, or other related field.
Compensation and Application Process
You are not going to make as much money here as you would working in a law firm or slick consumer magazine. If you need to make a ton of money, you should probably keep looking. That said, we do offer a salary competitive with similar small nonprofit organizations, maybe even a little better. And we have health insurance, paid vacation, paid holidays, a Simple IRA plan, and we value work-life balance. If you’re interested, please send a cover letter explaining why you’re interested and why we should be interested in you, a résumé, and work references to AdminJob@shelterforce.org. No phone calls please.
We take diversity and inclusion really seriously here. We want to hear from you no matter your race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin. If you recognize and value the benefits of diversity too, we encourage you to apply.